The DEN project
We are currently creating a nature-based intervention program called - The DEN project - which will be used by all pupils at our AP and SEN provisions as well as children from local mainstream schools that access our Outreach services.
Our vision centres around establishing a sensory garden that harmoniously blends natural sights, scents, and textures into a unified space. Within this garden, pupils will be encouraged to explore and engage during free discovery time, fostering a deeper connection to nature and enhancing their sensory experiences.
We intend to weave ‘The DEN project’ into our curriculum in order to help our pupils engage with education, develop effective communication skills, improve their social skills and increase self-confidence.
With a range of different nature-based interventions that can be run from the DEN garden, these will include;
- Outdoor meditation and mindfulness
- Nature focused arts and crafts
- Nature play/discovery
- Nature based music lessons such as drumming
- Transition to Secondary School - team work/den building
- Social-skills and working in a pair/group
- Anxiety and how we can better manage it by using our natural surroundings to help us